abnegation,

Life: I Am Divergent

12:00:00 AM Arianne 2 Comments

Photo courtesy of Google Images

I'm really late to the bandwagon, but I've finally finished reading the book Divergent by Veronica Roth. If you don't know about this book by now, then you must be living under a rock. I saw the movie first, and resolved to read the first two books before the second movie came out. I finished the book in two days. That's how good it was.

Short book review:
The book was better than the movie, of course. It was filled with emotion and character. I literally was emotional for almost every random scene.

The development of Tris and Four's relationship was more specific in the book as would be expected. I thoroughly enjoyed that Four was more vulnerable and seemed more his age of 18 than in the movie.

Overall, the author did such an amazing job creating the different factions and making sure that they stood out amongst each other.

Short movie review:
I was/am obsessed with this movie more than I was with the Hunger Games, and that's really saying something. I saw the HG more times than I did Divergent, but that doesn't change the fact that if I could only choose one movie/book, I would choose Divergent.

It also helps that the actors in Divergent are mostly attractive. I mean, have you seen Four? Theo James was the perfect actor to play him.

After reading the book, I thought the movie was true to the book. They didn't change a whole lot which was amazing!

Now for the discussion..
Everyone asks what faction would you choose? Well, the book has bonus materials including a Faction Quiz. I took the quiz and turned out I am also Divergent - how cool is that?!

I was equally Abnegation and Erudite. I'm a bit surprised that I'm not fit for Candor because I'm more honest than I am polite. However, if I was asked what faction I would WANT to be in? I'd choose Dauntless for sure. With my anxiety, I think Dauntless would either make me stronger, or break me. I think I'd risk it and find out.

In the bonus materials, the author mentioned exposure therapy. I think that's exactly what I need. I want to be strong and courageous as they are. I don't want to be controlled by my fears; I want to control and overcome my fears. I don't want to continue living such a sheltered life because I'm afraid of the outcome or what bad things might happen. I want to be free and I want to be Dauntless.

Faction Quiz

1. You most want your friends and family to see you as someone who...
a. Is willing to make sacrifices and help anyone in need.
b. Is liked by everyone.
c. Is trustworthy.
d. Will protect them no matter what happens.
e. Offers wise advise.

2. When you are faced with a difficult problem, you react by...
a. Doing whatever will be the best thing for the greatest number of people.
b. Creating a work of art that expresses your feelings about the situation.
c. Debating the issue with your friends.
d. Facing it head-on. What else would you do?
e. Making a list of pros and cons, and then choosing the opton that the evidence best supports.

3. What activity would you most likely find yourself doing on the weekend or on an unexpected day off?
a. Volunteering
b. Painting, dancing, or writing poetry
c. Sharing opinions with your friends
d. Rock-climbing or skydiving!
e. Catching up on your homework or reading for pleasure

4. If you had to select one of the following options as a profession, which would you choose?
a. Humanitarian
b. Farmer
c. Judge
d. Firefighter
e. Scientist

5. When choosing your outfit for the day, you select...
a. Whatever will attract the least amount of attention
b. Something comfortable, but interesting to look at
c. Something that's simple, but still expresses your personality
d. Whatever will attract the most attention
e. Something that will not distract or inhibit you from what you have to do that day

6. If you discovered that a friend's significant other was being unfaithful, you would...
a. Tell your friend because you feel that it would be unhealthy for him or her to continue in a relationship where such selfish behavior is present.
b. Sit them both down so taht you can act as a mediator when they talk it over.
c. Tell your friend as soon as possible. You can't imagine keeping that knowledge a secret.
d. Confront the cheate! You might also take action by slashing the cheater's tires or egging his or her house -- all in the name of protecting your friend, of course.
e. Keep it to yourself. Statistics prove that your friend will find out eventually.

7. What would you say is your highest priority in life right now?
a. Serving those around you
b. Finding peace and happiness for yourself
c. Seeking truth in all things
d. Developing your strength of character
e. Success in work or school

Now it's your turn. Take the quiz and let me know in the comments what faction you belong to :)


Arianne
Bloglovin | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram

2 comments:

  1. Better than Hunger Games you say! I might have to check these out, haven't got round to reading them yet ;) xx

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do think it's better than the Hunger Games. I seriously could not put it down!!

      Delete