a poison tree,

Life: A Poison Tree

12:00:00 AM Arianne 3 Comments


A Poison Tree by William Blake

I was angry with my friend;
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I watered it in fears,
Night and morning with my tears:
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night.
Till it bore an apple bright.
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine.

And into my garden stole,
When the night had veild the pole;
In the morning glad I see;
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.


One of the people I follow on Twitter retweeted @emmablackery's tweet about the poem above. I didn't understand it at first, so I did what everyone would do these days: I googled it. After realizing the meaning of the poem, I decided to face my struggles head on. I was incredibly anxious and afraid to confront the situation, but I found courage inside me. I was also fueled by the promise of a peace of mind. I've proven it many times to myself that if I only face the thing that made me upset, I would feel much better afterwards. With this in mind, I conquered my fear and voiced my opinion (or feelings, if you're feeling mushy haha). 

I still struggle to sleep at night without waking up in the middle of the night, but I'm back to being happier and with little to no anxiety. 

So, here's a challenge to all of my readers: find the courage to face what scares you today. When that weight on your shoulder has lifted, leave a comment below and tell me about it. However, I also want you to keep in mind that we must choose our battles carefully. 

Stay beautiful :)



3 comments:

  1. What a lovely poem! Glad to hear that you're feeling happier - let's hope your sleep improves soon!

    www.rachelcoco.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem and great to read, thanks for sharing! <3

    I have a new Valentines Day outfit on my blog, would love to know your thoughts:

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete