burbank,

Food: Cheese Roll Cheese-Filled Pastry

12:00:00 AM Arianne 3 Comments


"These are really important cheese rolls!" -Mom-

Last weekend, I took my mom to Irvine Spectrum. We spent about an hour there, and then on the way home, I made a sudden decision to drive 45 minutes further north to Downey to get the famous Porto's Bakery Cheese Rolls

The first time I had a cheese roll from Porto's, it was the holiday season. One of my aunt's coworkers used to bring her a couple dozen to put on the dinner table, either for Thanksgiving in November or Christmas in December.

I remembered falling in love with the heavenly pastries from first bite. There was one time that I got greedy and ate two in one sitting. That was a bad idea. At the time, cheese and I weren't BFFs and my stomach didn't quite like that I ate two pastries in succession.

Anyway, fast forward to last weekend. We parked around the corner because I knew parking by the bakery was going to be a nightmare. We walked in the blazing hot sun and endured the heat for these rolls. When we arrived, there were a lot of people in line, waiting for their order, or sitting on tables. The line for the cafe was only half full when we got there, which was quite a relief.

Even still, I felt a little bit stressed because my mom seemed very excited and wanted to get everything in sight. Being the way that I am, I firmly advised to get the cheese rolls and get out. My anxiety didn't like the crowd and the chaos. By the time we paid and made our way out, the line for the cafe doubled and the bakery got louder. Whew!

I ended up getting half a dozen while my mom went for the dozen. As soon as I got home, I immediately set up my studio lights, attached my external flash, and got to photographing these beauties. 

Now, if only Porto's would open a location in San Diego!!!


What's your favorite bakery and what's your favorite pastry from that bakery?


3 comments:

  1. These look yummy! I don't have a favourite bakery as such, Greggs is the main bakery here. but I do love their chocolate eclairs :)

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love melted cheese! MMMMMM. Delicious!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! I love me anything stuffed with cheese. Ideal! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete