anxiety,

Life: How I Stay Calm

12:00:00 AM Arianne 9 Comments



What a coincidence that as I was writing this post, I was actually feeling anxious. Shall we get started?

Apps

Calm - I found this app because of Zoe(lla). I loved using the free guided meditation function. I originally started meditating for only five minutes at a time, but my psychologist said I really should be doing more. Now, I've been able to do about 20 minutes. I would call that progress.

Relax - I also found this app because of Zoe. I loved that I could create a cocktail of sounds with this app. I had two mixes: Rainstorm and Waves. Yes, I named those myself. 

Grid Diary - this journal app forced me to recount my day and to reflect on that day. As with any journaling I've done, I eventually started slacking off. However, this was the only type of journaling that I've stuck with. I still journal, it just might be a bit late sometimes.

Coloring

It all started with a coloring book from Target and 24 crayons. I chose the best I could find but I realized two things early on: I didn't actually like using crayons to color and I also didn't like the book I purchased. Well, that's when I started seeing mindfulness coloring books floating around on blogs and YouTube videos. Long story short, I made my way to Barnes and Noble and found one that I liked. I also went to Target to get colored pencils instead. Watch out for an official haul coming soon ;)

Essential Oil

I left my essential oil at work, that's why I didn't have it in the photo, but I did show it in this haul video. The one I got was from Aura Cacia called Panic Button with Neroli and Rose. I thought the name was totally appropriate so I bought it instead of the pure lavender essential oil. I would waft the open bottle under my nose and inhale deep when I felt anxious. It actually forced me to breathe and the fragrance helped calm my nerves.


I'm very grateful that I don't have anxiety attacks as often as I used to. However, I'm far from cured. I actually have uncovered so much more that I have to work on with my therapist. Now that I don't have so many triggers to my anxiety, I can focus on improving myself and learning how to look at my bad memories and be detached from them.

I'm absolutely terrified of exploring them and making myself vulnerable, but I am determined to do whatever it takes within reason to get better. I don't want to start crying when I randomly talk about a memory and I certainly don't want to constantly be afraid to be around people. Most importantly, I want to stop doubting myself every time I have a conversation with another human being.

If you've read this far, thank you. Here's to a better and brighter tomorrow. Let's find something positive about each and every day so that we can be a little bit closer to finding true happiness.


Cheers!


9 comments:

  1. I really want to get one of those books myself, although as a kid I always preferred painting but I do want to give the whole mindfullness a go :)

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do it! Hopefully there's a good bargain for these books near you, but either way, whether you choose to paint or color a book, I hope it serves the main purpose of relaxing you and your mind

      Delete
  2. I've thought about purchasing a colouring book, but my problem is that I don't often have the patience to colour in so many tiny little things -- perhaps I just haven't found one that I like enough yet.

    I wish you all the best with finding positivity tomorrow, and every day after! :)

    Shae xo
    Diary of a Beauty Padawan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. finding that patience is the key to mindfulness. that's why the coloring books are helpful because it will test your patience. you'd be surprised at how easy it is to color the book when you start enjoying the process.

      Delete
  3. Colouring for adults is quite a big thing in the UK as well....I love doing this too.

    http://vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out about it because of the UK vloggers I follow :)

      Delete
  4. I really want to get one of those coloring books but so far I couldn't find any in Vienna and am so sad that I don't live in the UK anymore, cause I've seen many people from there using them!

    http://livialinette.blogspot.co.at

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, can you order them from Amazon?

      Delete