alba botanica,

Beauty: The Struggle of Going All-Natural

12:00:00 AM Arianne 6 Comments


If you've ever tried to go all-natural, you know that sometimes, it could be a real struggle. Today, I wanted to discuss why I decided to go all-natural, the ingredients I tried to avoid, the benefits of going all-natural, and finally, the struggle of staying organic. 

Why I Decided to Go All-Natural

I don't actually know what spurred me to go on this "mission". All I remember was that I lived with someone that only bought organic foods and she started letting me know about certain ingredients that she avoided in products. I was intrigued when I started doing more research. Next thing I knew, I was trying so hard to go all-natural and getting exasperated when it got difficult. Oh, and there was also that thing where I had a dream of being an ambassador for organic products and setting a trend like other bloggers set a trend for something they're passionate about.

Ingredients I Avoid

Parabens - these were the first ingredients I wanted to cut out from my products. Some people believed that it caused breast cancer. Whether that was true or not, I really didn't know. However, I've had family members that had breast cancer. I thought, if avoiding this ingredient could help me avoid getting breast cancer, even if it was a very small chance, then I would do it.

Mineral Oil - this was the first ingredient that my friend told me she was avoiding. Surprisingly, a lot of products have this ingredient, especially baby products! That's terrible! According to Organic Beauty Talk, this ingredient clogged pores and resulted in acne and premature aging. Uhm, no thanks!

Sodium Laureth/Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) - I started avoiding this ingredient when I started seeing products marked with "No SLS" on the label. I was curious so I researched why people wouldn't want to use products with this ingredient in it. The main reason I decided to avoid this ingredient was skin irritation. It dried up my skin and my hair causing them to be irritated.

Propylene, Pentylene, Dipropylene, Butylene Glycol (sometimes Hexylene, too) - the one thing that put me off from these ingredients were the thought that in pure form, these were used to remove barnacles from boats (according to Organic Beauty Talk). That kind of toxicity scared the crap out of me so I decided to avoid them as much as possible.

Alcohol - my skin just happened to dislike anything with alcohol. My face burned when I would use something with alcohol, so I started buying alcohol-free products as much as possible. Alcohol was also known to be very drying and irritating to the skin. Watch out sensitive-skin people!

Benefits of Going All-Natural

As many of you probably knew, buying organic or all-natural products could be quite expensive. I wish they weren't, but I think it would definitely be worth it in the long run. Some benefits I've experienced from going all-natural were:

  • I've found such amazing brands that have now become my all-time favorites. Alba Botanica had been my favorite body care, for example, and OGX was my favorite haircare - although I learned recently that I needed to still read the ingredients in OGX products because they somehow were not all that organic anymore.
  • My skin, hair, and body loved the products. Simple as that.
  • I've discovered alternatives to certain products and they'd been so much better than the non-organic commercial counterpart. I knew that the products were definitely of high quality and worth the price tag.

The Struggle of Going and Staying All-Natural

Besides the obvious struggle of a higher price tag, I've found other challenging obstacles along my journey of going all-natural. There were products that were recommended to me by people, and at the time, I'd blindly purchased them without reading the ingredients. I'd fallen in love with the product since, until I'd found out that the products I'd been loving had Butylene Glycol in the ingredients. It almost felt like I'd been cheated on. I was devastated by the discovery, but then, it got me thinking -- how far should I take this mission of going all-natural?

The challenge with organic products were figuring out which of them were actually effective and could easily rival the non-organic commercial competition. Since organic/all-natural products weren't easily accessible in stores, I wasn't able to try them out or get samples. Blindly purchasing a product had been a thing of the past after living in America for so many years in which "returns and exchanges" were such a norm if a product didn't satisfy your needs/expectations.

So, for now, I've come to accept that some of the products I own had ingredients I'd been working hard to avoid. However, once I'm finished with them, I honestly would continue to seek alternative organic products. 

On the other hand, I'm also scared. I love the products I own now, whether they're truly natural or not. My skin loves them. I wonder if I should just listen to my body and continue using products it obviously loves?

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments.


Let's have a discussion, shall we?



6 comments:

  1. I did the same thing about a year ago with my hair products. Having relaxed hair and wanting it to grow, I read that kinder products would help, so I sought some out. But it's tough right! I'd say what I use now is about half natural. Definitely no mineral oils, no shampoo with sulphates or parabens, and an "organic" conditioner. At least, I think so. I'd better go double check those ingredients! My hair has grown though! But would it have done that anyway? Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do notice that my hair loves the OGX brand and it's easier to manage and doesn't tangle as much. Whether that's because of the natural quality of the product, I don't really know. Also, the price is 4x as much compared to a regular shampoo, but I buy them anyway :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not really trying to make the change to organic products yet but I really want to try to avoid SLS as I feel like they are really bad for my hair, but it is really difficult, as you said, to finish products that don't include these ingrediants :)

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish companies made it easier to make natural choices. I think a lot of the time we think we are avoiding some nasty chemical and it turns out they've replaced it with other bad stuff! I think more people would go all natural if it was easier. Maybe that's just me being lazy though! x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this post - it actually helped me because I knew you had to avoid some of these things, but I had no idea why. I'd love to use more natural products but to be honest, I'm not very well educated on it and I'd probably half to throw away half the products I use now if I started to go only natural!

    Mineral oil sounds like something that would be good for you, not bad!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say if it clogs my pores, then it's no good :) Good luck going all-natural! I'm trying to get at least my skin/body care to be all-natural. Cosmetics is a harder beast to tackle.

      Delete