Balboa Park,

Life: December Nights (Photo HEAVY!)

12:00:00 AM Arianne 0 Comments


I'm so excited to talk about December Nights with all of you! I brought my mom to Balboa Park a week ago on December 5th to experience this event. It happens two days out of the year on the first weekend of December. First off, we spent 20 minutes looking for parking, and that was before we spent about 15 minutes looking for the parking lot. 

When we finally made it inside the park, the first thing we saw was a carousel, but to be honest, I had two things on my mind: find a bathroom and find food. We found food, but didn't find the bathroom, so we decided to just eat first. We had a little picnic style under a shaded area of the park. We shared a chicken bbq and a plain hotdog. I enjoyed it since I was hungry, while my mom took a few bites and decided to eat her Chex Mix instead.


After our little food break, my mom found the Cactus/Desert Garden. I don't actually remember if that's the proper name of the garden, but we'll go with that. I was glad that my mom was so excited and wanted to take as many photos as possible. I wouldn't show them here, but I hope you enjoy the nature shots I took instead!


After a few photos, video clips, and a lot of heavy breathing on my part (I'm so out of shape), we made our way back to where we came from. I got a strawberry lemonade that had too much sugar in it, but I enjoyed it anyway. We also finally found the bathroom. On the way there, we found the Festival of Trees exhibit. I wasn't sure what it was, but when we saw it, we were pretty impressed. There were so many different christmas trees decorated based on different themes.


We, then, stumbled upon the Lily Pond and another botanical garden. I don't know what it was called, but they had a lot of poinsettias and we took more photos, including selfies. My mom really enjoyed it.


On our way out, we saw some beautiful Koi fish. I'm always amazed when I see how colorful and big they are. They seem like such magical creatures. Mom and I walked more and found the organ pavilion where a choir was singing festive songs. They were amazing. To the left of it was the Japanese Friendship Garden. I was so excited that it was free to explore (on regular days, I think you have to pay for entrance). We made it minutes before they closed the entrance. It was so beautiful and relaxing! My mistake was I thought that was all of it and we left. Apparently, I missed half of the garden! Darn it. I saw it from afar when we left. To be honest, I was a bit bummed, but there is always next time.


We walked a little bit more, but for the life of me, I couldn't find the different houses for the different cultures all over the world with the foods specific for that country. I really wanted to check them out. Anyway, when we saw the path of the way we came earlier, we both agreed that we were tired and it was time we left. This was both our first time and we really enjoyed it. I'd love to come again next year. To be honest, I'd love to just come again and explore the park more. I feel like every time I visit, I always miss more than half the park. It's so big, I honestly feel lost in it all the time.




I hope you enjoyed this post. Let me know in the comments if you have a favorite garden or if you have a favorite festive event you like to attend during this time of year.



0 comments: