gratitude,

Life: The Time I Hurt My Back

8:48:00 PM Arianne 4 Comments


I had written on my planner what posts I was supposed to write for this week, but then I hurt my back. This is a story that will hopefully inspire you (my readers) to stay positive and keep believing in yourself. (So emosh already, huh?)

It was a cold morning on December 15, 2015, so I decided that after taking my morning shower, I would rummage a bag of clothes above my closet for a scarf or two. Lifting the bag from above was no problem. I decided to set the bag down on the floor at first. Then, I decided to lift it onto the bed...OUCH! There was a sharp pain in my lower back so I dropped the bag back on the floor. I stood up and shook it off, maybe walked a little. Then, I sat back down on my bed, lifted the bag with me, and proceeded with my search for my scarves. I found two, thank God. With that accomplished, I sat in front of my vanity mirror to begin applying my makeup...OUCH! The pain was back and it was too much for me to handle, so I leaned back and lied down on top of my pillows. 

And then I couldn't move.

The pain was so strong that I honestly could not move. So, as any human being would do, I called my mom. 

"Hello... I can't move."
"What? What happened?!"

To say the least, I was scared, but I also wasn't ready to call the emergency hotline. I stayed where I was, hoping that the pain would subside...eventually. It didn't.

After an hour of struggling and making important phone calls to my workplace, all thanks to my willpower, I was able to turn to my side. Using my non-existent upper body strength, I hoisted the rest of my body on my bed. Another half an hour passed before I could push myself up.

Finally, I was able to stand up and walk around...very slowly and stiffly, like I was ancient.

I forced myself to go to work, but after an hour of struggling to focus, even with a heating pad warming my back, I called my medical group and asked if they could see me that day. When the person on the other line said she couldn't help me, I broke down crying. Eventually, she suggested I could go to Urgent Care. Now, why didn't I think of that?!

Off to urgent care I went.

They gave me an ice pack, and the cold actually worked! The pain lessened and I wasn't in so much agony anymore. There was the struggle of sitting down and getting up so when I was shown to my room, I opted to stand. The nurse told me they needed a urine sample just to make sure it wasn't my kidneys. Getting that sample was another obstacle. Did I mention I couldn't bend my body??

When the doctor finally saw me, he made me bend as far as I could go--forward, backward, and side to side. Needless to say, I couldn't bend forward without extreme pain. The doctor prescribed me a muscle relaxant and off I went.

My mom came to help me out, but being stubborn that I was, I said "I got it." I figured, she wouldn't be there for all the days I would need her, so I might as well learn to walk on my own. I came home that night and cried some more. It was more a frustrated cry.

I hibernated for two days to avoid the pain. I felt better and better each day, but I still walked and moved slow.

Moral of this story? For the entire time that I was in pain, even as I was writing this post, I was thankful. Thankful that I was able to move. Thankful that I was able to stand. Thankful that I was able to WALK. I was thankful just to be alive. (I know, deep, right?)

So here's a message to you out there who might be experiencing any sort of pain--physical, mental, or emotional. The fact that you're still alive is something to be thankful for. If you can still function, no matter how limited it may be, you should be thankful. If you have people that care about you, no matter how many or how little, be thankful. 


Let me know in the comments about the little things you're thankful for today.



4 comments:

  1. Oh god this sounds like it was quite scary! I hope you're alright now! xx

    Jasmine || http://www.blogsallbeautyy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was scared for a minute, but I was alright after that. I'm feeling better now, though it still hurts to sit at a desk.

      Delete
  2. This sounds horrible, suddenly being unable to move out of the blue! I hope you're feeling better and hopefully it all goes away :)

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I'm feeling better, but still hurts when I sit down for more than a few minutes. I'll just have to endure it for now and hope it goes away eventually. If that fails, I will go to an acupunturist :)

      Delete