acceptance,

LIFE | Learning to Love Myself

12:00:00 AM Arianne 21 Comments


One night, I was looking at my blog's homepage (as one does), and I noticed my new header for 2016. I'm sure you've noticed it by now, but if you didn't, there it is. The letter "E" is slightly off-kilter. When I created the new header, I just thought it looked interesting at the time. However, this one night, when I was looking at it, I came up with the idea for this post.

The off-balance "E" is a symbol.

For the year of 2016, I've decided that it will be the year that I will put more effort into loving myself more. The letter "E" is a symbol that I'm imperfect and I'm completely okay with that. I could write a few pages of my flaws that most people probably don't even know about. This year, I want to accept those flaws and start telling myself that I wouldn't be the unique person that I am now if it weren't for those flaws. 

Yes, I might not have a posse of friends or I might not be the most outgoing person that you'll ever meet. You know what? That's totally alright with me. This year I want to accept more things than ever before.

I want to accept:
  • my body - it's not perfect, but I will go to the gym to feel healthier. If I lose weight in the process and my body shape changes, then I would look at it as a bonus, not a goal. The goal is to be healthy, not to be skinny.
  • my bad days - my anxious mind would always try to make one bad day exponentially worse, but I will work even harder to focus on the positive and to always CHOOSE HAPPINESS (this is courtesy of Louise's book Life with a Sprinkle of Glitter - cheeky little plug there).
  • my beliefs - I always let people dictate my decisions and I'm always looking for other's assurances. This year, I want to accept my decisions for what they are. If I make a mistake, I will own up to it and deal with it accordingly in a mature way. I will learn to forgive myself. I will also learn to simplify life by embracing the simple decisions available to me.
  • other people's flaws - this is the hardest one, but I will try harder to accept that there is no one in this world that is exactly like me, and therefore, we will have differences and some of them might annoy me. My goal is to accept those annoying things and focus on the beauty of their soul instead of the ugly picture that my anxious mind would probably paint on my behalf.

This year I want to accept me for me. It's about time.


21 comments:

  1. This was such a beautiful read ♥

    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful post, I think we should all make that our goal for 2016. x

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post! We all need to give ourselves a break sometimes, we're awesome just the way we are!

    Paigenstuff.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we really are awesome in our own way, aren't we? :)

      Delete
  4. I don't think anyone's perfect so imperfections aren't really 'imperfections' as I see it, I think they're what makes us unique! And it's a great idea to embrace that uniqueness :)

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's the goal! thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing such a deep post with all of us! I think this is something we all face, and it's really great to see a post about it. No one is perfect, but as long as we don't beat ourselves up for it and keep positive, we can strive to be our best selves :)

    Happy New Year!

    Chelsea
    Chow Down USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Chelsea! I really want to work on not beating myself up for my mistakes and thinking that I'm a bad person. I can't wait to see how I did at the end of this year.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful goal for 2016! I definitely need to do the same!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's beautiful that you're learning to love yourself more this year. I need to do it to after an abysmal 2015. So here's to confidence and loving ourselves <3

    xx Bash | H E Y   B A S H | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww this post is so beautiful, I adore it. :) Good luck with your goals, I think that you will be happier if you did. You last point stood out the most for me...learning how to accept others regardless of what we see as their flaws.
    Olive Needs Popeye

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww I love this post! thank you so much for sharing:) Do you want to support each others blog by following each other? Please let me know so I can follow you right back:)

    xoxo
    www.theclosetelf.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post thank you for sharing with us xx
    Glossy Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a lovely idea for choosing happiness. Is Louise's diary any good? I've not got it yet, I think I'm a little too old maybe. The idea of accepting other people's flaws is something I need to work on myself. I'm following you on Bloglovin, can't wait to read more :)
    http://www.rebeccamarie.co.uk xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. her diary is really like a book to write about your day, not so much as a planner, but you can use it for that, too. it's a mix of both, I'd say :) you're never too old for anything!

      Delete
  12. This is such a beautiful read. The last point was something I never really thought about, but it's so important! I do a lot of talking and thinking on accepting myself and my flaws but I have to extend that thinking and be a little more gentle with the people around me. Thanks for that.

    Tazhiana | tazhiluxe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome! here's to loving ourselves -- and those around us -- more this year! :)

      Delete