accounting,

LIFE | My Monthly Budget

12:00:00 AM Arianne 10 Comments


The night I was writing this post, I stayed up late creating new spreadsheets for 2016 for my budget and ledgers. Today, I wanted to share what my January template looks like. This would pretty much stay the same. Of course, some costs are variable such as Beauty and Health so I would adjust each accordingly every month.

Ledger - this is a collection of spreadsheets in which I balance my bank and loan accounts bi-monthly or as often as I have time for it. I won't be showing this as this is personal and varies from each person.

Budget - I just started using a budget such as above in the last quarter of 2015. For 2016, I decided to create my own, down to the way it looks (colors, lines, etc.). I've created the budget above to fit my current lifestyle. 

Variable costs - these are costs that changes like Beauty. For example, if one month, I realize that I'm running out of foundation, then I would increase the projected cost for the next month to budget for a new foundation. 

Fixed costs - these are costs that are the same for each month such as rent and cell phone bills.

Why do I use spreadsheets and budgets? Well, I've always used a spreadsheet ever since I worked for an accounting firm when I was in university, but I only started using a proper budget in the past few months. I have a simple reason for this: I want to save money. To help me with my new year's resolution of saving $5K, I thought a budget would help me see where my money is going, and I would be better able to control my spending (hopefully). This way, I would be less inclined to make impulse purchases.

Anyway, if you'd like to download this template, feel free to send me an email or leave a comment below with your email address. Unfortunately, however, I do not have the time to explain how to use it. 


Tell me in the comments how you manage your finances and if you have any tips for improving mine.

10 comments:

  1. This is so helpful, you have no idea. I have to save up loads for London next year, but I'm such an impulsive buyer. Thanks for the inspiration, love! xx

    Tess
    www.thelyricstolife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's so great to hear, Tess! I can't wait to hear how much you've saved this year :)

      Delete
  2. This is so good, plus you've thought of literally everything! An amazing idea :)

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I did, didn't I? I bet you, I still missed something, though :)

      Delete
  3. What a great spreadsheet! I was keeping track of my finances really closely for a few months but then fell off the wagon! This post has motivated me to get back into it though, so thanks for that!


    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this is able to motivate you. I hope you'd be able to stick to it this time!

      Delete
  4. Amazing post!!!I love your blog , so I stay as a follower in your social networks , I hope to see my blog and you stay as a follower too!!! Happy day pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY for budgeting! I am trying to budget this year as well. Have you used Mint before? It is an electronic way of keeping up with a budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of Mint before. I like using a spreadsheet :)

      Delete