angry,

LIFE | H.A.L.T.

12:00:00 AM Arianne 3 Comments


I learned this from my psychologist and I thought I would share because I believe it really is helpful when making decisions in life.

H.A.L.T. is a technique that literally means to STOP when you are feeling any of the four symptoms of hunger, anger, loneliness, and tiredness.

Hunger - When I'm hungry, I want to immediately drive to the closest Jack in the Box drive-thru so I can get the juiciest Buttery Jack they have on the menu. I'm so overwhelmed by my hunger that I'd eat junk food right then and there. But, if I halt my thoughts and have a bit of a healthier snack, then I won't be so hungry, which would lead me to better decisions about what kind of food my body needs.

Anger - Oh my gosh, when I'm angry, I see no reason. I will hunt the person down to the ends of the Earth and make them as miserable as they made me. But honestly, where does that get me? I just make myself more miserable while the other person moves on with his or her life. So, by halting my thoughts, I'd be able to focus on myself and my wellbeing instead of focusing my energy on revenge on someone who doesn't even deserve an ounce of my precious time on this planet.

Lonely - This emotion usually overcomes me during the holiday season. I would sleep all day and all night trying to escape the holiday because I had no one to spend it with. A simple solution to this is to reach out to people, whether they're family members, friends, or even acquaintances. It's better than wallowing in self-pity. 

Tired - I have made careless mistakes when I've been tired. I've lost out on opportunities to get a new book editing client because I decided to edit their sample pages when I was overly fatigued. I now learned that it's okay for me to sleep because it's my bedtime and the sample pages can wait until I wake up the next day. That way, my mind would be clearer and I can do my job the best way I can, eventually landing the job. Trust me, this worked :)


So, have you heard of this technique before? Will you be applying it into your daily life now that you are aware of it?
Let me know in the comments!


3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this! Sometimes, it is very important to drop everything rather than exhausting oneself in any way! :) x

    Jadirah Sarmad at Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I have never heard of this technique but it sounds really good and I'll definitely try it! I've also made some poor decisions when I was angry or felt really tired. People always say that you shouldn't make decisions at night and I think that's true - things always look better in the morning. xx

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete