baking,

Bob's Red Mill Brownie Mix

12:00:00 AM Arianne 8 Comments


Hi everyone! I'm excited to share with you today Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Brownie Mix. It's supposed to be fool proof, but how did it do when I had to bake it? Bear in mind that I am terrible at following baking directions and I wouldn't call the kitchen my happy place.

So, on the back of the brownie mix, it showed me the ingredients I would need:
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted

Let's take a look at how I fared, shall we?


First things first (am I the realest?), I used vegetable oil spread because I don't use butter. Second, as you can see from the photo above, I completely forgot to melt the butter (vegetable oil spread). So, to compensate, I might have put almost a whole cup as I tried to pry the solid stick from the mix and melted a little bit more for good measure.

The mix itself was so thick! I've never used my hands to mix anything in my life, but today was the day for a first time. I washed my hands and dove right in. Have I mentioned how thick the mix was? It was also very sticky. Honestly, I thought it looked more like dough than brownie. But hey ho, I persevered, and after ten sticky fingers later, I had a good mix ready to bake.

As I didn't have a brownie pan, I decided, "hey, why don't I make brownie cups instead?" These days, I put everything in my cute cupcake tin, so why not brownies, too? Wow, I had a lot of bright ideas today, didn't I?

Verdict time: I'm a fail! *covers eyes*



Taste: very chocolatey and very sweet. This is a chewy brownie.
Texture: The first round of six brownie cups were overcooked. Typical me. So, it turned out quite hard and not moist at all. The second batch were cooked better, a little bit moist, but still quite hard on top. I wonder if it has something to do with me baking it on a toaster oven. *face palm* I found that heating it up in the microwave makes it softer and easier to eat. 

This would be great with milk if that's how you roll. Half a brownie cup would be good for me as I cannot handle the level of sweetness it has. I'm quite glad to know that I can indulge with these treats and not have to worry about gluten consequences to my body. 

I was also sent the cake mix and I'd definitely try to bake that one day, too. Hopefully I'd be able to bake it better than I did with these brownies. 


Have you tried gluten-free brownies before?

8 comments:

  1. Haha, bless you. I'm rubbish at baking. These turned out better than I could manage!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with a good camera and angle, anything could look beautiful, right? ;)

      Delete
  2. I actually really love the idea of making brownies in cupcake cases, they look so cute!!

    The Makeup Directory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly, cooking anything and everything on cupcake cases is the easiest thing to do.. whether they turn out well is the question haha

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. they're good for that sweet tooth craving!

      Delete
  4. I have a pretty massive sweet tooth so I feel like I'd probably not find these too sweet....I love chewy brownies as well!

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, I have a pretty bad sweet tooth, but I can't handle big amounts or really rich sweets. I nibble on them constantly, but never in big amounts. otherwise, I feel sick.

      Delete