anxiety,

Mental Health Awareness Week

7:07:00 PM Arianne 2 Comments

Photography Credit: JD
People with mental illness usually suffer alone and it shouldn't be that way. 

I cannot speak for other countries, but here in the United States, it is Mental Health Awareness Week (October 2-8). I haven't done much to spread the word and try to stop the stigma around mental illnesses because to be honest, I didn't know that I could. All I knew how to do was to write blog posts and share my stories, but even then, I didn't want to often do it because there would always be people who didn't understand or didn't care to understand. 

Here are six ways you can help spread awareness whether you know someone who have a mental illness or you, yourself, have one.

1. Wear anything lime green throughout this week. As for me, I would paint my nails lime green so that I can wear the color even after this week. 
2. Educate yourself. Do some research. If you have a loved one suffering from a mental illness, you can start by researching their specific illness.
3. Tweet about it. Compose your own tweet or tweet this post.
4. Seek help if you think you might have a mental disorder.
5. Let your loved one know that he or she is not alone. This week, more than ever, would be a great time to offer your support and make sure that they don't suffer alone.
6. Share your story.

Check out the illustrations below by Marissa Betley. I hope they would help you understand.




I work in a place where the patients we work with have some sort of cancer. You would never tell someone "it's just cancer. Get over it". Just because mental illness isn't as visible as cancer, doesn't mean it's okay to treat it like it's not real. It's very real for those who suffer from it. It could be so debilitating that getting out of bed or simply smiling would seem the hardest task. 

Do not judge people with mental disorders because YOU HAVE NO IDEA about their sufferings. Don't add to their pain just because you're ignorant now. Educate yourself. Don't be just another insensitive person who chose to hurt someone instead of supporting him or her. 

Don't be that person. Stop the stigma and speak up about mental health. 

x Ayre

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this.
    Good vibes, FOX
    check out my blog www.rochellefox.com.au and my latest VLOG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you for helping us all spread awareness! I actually wrote my own Mental Health story on my blog today, I'd love to know what you think x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete