Life,

Learning When To Say No

12:00:00 AM Arianne 0 Comments


"Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you'll be criticized anyway." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Lately, things have felt so hectic in and out of the workplace. I felt overwhelmed in wanting to do everything and wishing that I was superwoman so that I could do just that. However, I had been aware that I tend to crash and burn when I continued in this way in the past.

I didn't want to disappoint anyone, because I also wanted to be surrounded by everyone when I had the opportunity.

You see, I had been quite a solitary person for as long as I could remember, and honestly, making an effort to interact with people whether that was through photography or just to hang out was—and would always be—exhausting. Yes, I enjoy the interaction for the most part, but in recent times, I just wished for one thing and that was to be with myself and hang out with only myself.

As I wrote this blog post, I had such a day. I had interaction over the phone, but mostly, I was alone running errands and accomplishing mundane things. I felt so productive and finally free that I was even able to browse Bloglovin in hopes that a blog post would manifest itself in my head. And voila, I wrote this post.

Anyway, what I was trying to say was that sometimes, it would be necessary to look after yourself. Everyone else could wait because you are more important, first and foremost. 

Don't be afraid to say 'no' to an invitation or 'no' to a project if you know for a fact that you are about to drown.

I had slowly been learning to put myself first and make sure I was okay before pleasing everyone else. Yes, it was and still is definitely very hard, but it would be better to take the time now than to have a breakdown and sever ties from people you actually care about.

Let me know in the comments what you do when you take time for yourself. Do you pamper yourself or catch up on everything you've missed? Or do you choose to vegetate on the couch or the bed? I would love to read about it!

x Ayre

0 comments: